Makeup Lab Scheduler
This page is for organic lab students to schedule makeup labs, in case they have to miss their normal lab. It can also be used to request excused absences. Make sure you read all of these rules before attempting to schedule an absence or sending a question to the lab director. Note that your TA cannot excuse absences! If your absence is not input into the Makeup Lab Scheduler, then it will count as unexcused and you will be given a grade of zero for the lab you missed.
- You are allowed to schedule a makeup lab up to three times per semester. If you will need more than this, you should speak to the lab director about permanently changing your lab section.
- You should schedule makeups as far in advance as you can, to guarantee yourself a spot. If you leave it until the last minute and there are no spaces in sections that work for you, you'll have to miss the experiment entirely.
- Under no circumstances may you perform a lab in a section other than your own, unless it's scheduled through this site.
- Lab sections are only listed as makeup options if they have at least one space. If nothing is listed at the time you want, you will need to pick a different time.
- This scheduler will only list times when other sections of your course are performing the same experiment you need to make up. Under extenuating circumstances it may still be possible for you to make up an experiment while sitting in on a section that is performing a different experiment, but this must be scheduled by contacting the lab director.
- Any labs you make up must be during the same week, since equipment and reagents for that experiment won't be available during other weeks.
- Any paperwork due that week can just be turned in to the TA of the makeup lab, without losing points for lateness.
- If you make up a lab, you do not need to provide documentation for your reason of missing your normal section.
- Once you schedule a makeup lab, you'll be emailed a verification code. The makeup lab request isn't official until you go to the verification page and input this code.
- If you are unable to schedule a makeup lab, you can choose to take an excused absence instead. In this case, you will need to bring proper documentation of the absence (a doctor's note, proof of a family emergency, etc.) to the lab director as soon as possible. If you choose this option, your grade for the semester will be out of fewer points. For instance, if your course is worth 800 points overall and you miss a 50-point lab, your total grade will be out of 750 points instead of 800. However, the material from your excused experiment is still considered fair game for the final quiz, so make sure you read the lab and go over the study questions before then.
- Any paperwork due on the day you miss can just be turned in during your lab the following week. If you prefer to turn it in earlier so it can be graded at the same time as everyone else's assignments, you can put it into your TA's mailbox (in the organic lab hallway) before then.
- If you fail to provide documentation by the last day of your lab for the semester, your absence will be considered unexcused, and you will be given zeroes for all parts of this lab.
- Exams for other courses are not considered a valid reason for an excused absence. Since you will know your exam schedule at the start of the semester, you should schedule a makeup lab for these weeks as early as possible to guarantee yourself a spot in another lab section.
- Once you schedule an excused absence, you'll be emailed a verification code. The excused absence request isn't official until you go to the verification page and input this code.
- If you have missed more than two labs, whether they are excused or not, you must either drop the course or obtain permission to take an incomplete. This does not include labs that are made up in another section - so long as you perform a lab at some point during that week, it won't count against you.
- If you need to finish up a characterization (NMR, IR, MP, etc), you do not need to schedule it officially. You can drop by your lab and either prepare an NMR sample quickly, or borrow a DigiMelt and take it to the instrument room briefly to run your MPs.
You can use the links below to schedule, verify, or cancel a makeup lab. These pages are accessible only from on campus.